- Voice: The overall narrative voice.
- Pace: How quickly the story moves.
- Character: Are there interesting and multifaceted characters in conflict?
- Plot: The overall story.
- Style: How the story is written.
- Verisimilitude: Are the details right?
- Voice: The writer’s voice: is it self-assured, knowledgeable, funny interesting?
- Subject Matter: What is the book about?
- Organization: The marshaling of material. Is it easy to follow and understand?
- Style: How the writing makes you feel?
- Verisimilitude: Did the author get the details right in his nonfiction book?